DUI Penalties in Utah:
Although DUI penalties differ from state to state and from judge to judge, DUIs are not a death sentance. If you have recently encountered a DUI or know someone who has then first things first is to contact a DUI attorney. Most offer a free initial consultation to see if you have a case and the tests and stop were performed accurately. If not, then depending if you are a repeat offender or not you may face whatever penalty the judge decides.
First thing is to determine whether or not you are a repeat offender. If you are then you can expect the penalty to much more severe than before.
Many states have passed <http://alcoholism.about.com/od/dui/g/habitual.htm>Habitual Violator laws, which automatically count DUI's as a felony if over three convictions.
If convicted you could also lose any of the following:
-Your Freedom by being placed in jail
-Your Right to Vote (mostly habitual offenders)
Receiving jail time as a DUI penalty is in many cases more than just serving your time. Even after you are released you could be ordered to seek mandatory counseling sessions, be put on probation, or even be ordered to refrain from alcohol while receiving regular visits from the court.
Some additional court ordered penalties that could be placed on you. These can actually be alternative sentencing options for first time offenders.
Because we are a Utah Based DUI attorney below is a more comprehensive and accurate list of penalties specific to our great state. Any DUI conviction after a second DUI conviction within ten years is a felony. Any refusal to take a chemical test is 18 month revocation for first refusal and 24 months for second or subsequent refusal. Interlock required for three years.
It is very important to remember that these penalties are imposed only if you are convicted. A knowledgeable DUI attorney could possibly reduce these penalties or even acquit you of the charges.
|Offense||Aggravators||Jail||Mandatory||Fines||Community Service||Other Requirements|
|DUI||None||2 days to 6 months||2 days||$1,340 to $1,850||48 hrs.||120 day licesnse susp.DUI class probation, No alcohol license, No concealed weapons permit|
|DUI||BAC>.16||2 days to 6 months||2 days||$1,295 to $1,850||48-72 hrs.||120 day license susp. DUI Class, Probation, No alcohol license,No concealed weapons permit, *Ignition Interlock device|
|DUI||Prior DUI w/10 y||10 days to 6 months||10 days||$1,340 t0 $1,850||Court Decision||2 year susp. DUI Class, Probation, No alcohol license, No concealed weapons permit, *Ignition Interlock device|
|DUI||2 Prio DUIs w/10 y||0 to 5 years||62.5 days||$5,000 to $12,500||Court Decision||
Results that speak for themselves.
- Morgan DUI & Poss. C/S - 24 y/o m, Third poss c/s (poss felony), first DUI, metabolite; RESULT; PIA Poss c/s, NO DUI CONVICTION; Sentence: 48 h c/s, PfL, U/A's, Assess, 12 mo unsup prob.
- RVTN DUI Case 07-9646787 CH/H - 35 yr old male, (APC-Trial) DUI - .197 BAC, Result: NO DUI CONVICTION - not guilty, No license suspension, no ignition interlock, Sentence: none.
- Vernal DUI - 29 y/o m, actual physical control case, .082 BAC, second DUI, RESULT: NO DUI CONVICTION, Sentence: Reckless Driving, 48 h c/s, PfL, MADD, one yr prob, no infractions.
- CH/H - 28 yr old male, speeding/DUI - .370 BAC, Result: NO DUI CONVICTION, No license suspension, no ignition interlock.....
- SC - 39 yr old male, (Trial) DUI - .000 BAC, Result: NO DUI CONVICTION - No license suspension, no ignition interlock
- Logan DUI - 33 y/o m, Felony third DUI (mandatory 62.5 d jail), RESULTS: DUI CONV. W/ 402 Reduction to Class A mis.; SENTENCE: 180 d jail w/ work release, fine, 36 mo. sup. prob., AA, MADD VIP, L. II PfL.
- NP - 26 yr old male, DUI - .81 BAC, Result: NO DUI CONVICTION, No license suspension, no ignition interlock....
- BOUNTIFUL DUI - 27 y/o f, Second DUI .245, (Mandatory 10 days jail); Sentence: DUI Conviction, Work Release/Home Monitoring, IID, 12 Mo.Sup Prob, fine, MADD.
- Summit County DUI - .125 BAC, stopped for speeding, No DUI Conviction, No DMV license suspension, no ignition interlock . . .
- LGN DUI Case 088492033 LGN - 45 yr old male, Two DUI's One Week Apart: DUI - .197; DUI .212 BAC, Result: Single DUI CONVICTION - no jail; Sentence: 10 Week alcohol treatment program. 90 Day license suspension, ignition interlock, 12 mo. probation.
- SLC - 23 yr old fm, Second DUI, .084 BAC, Set for trial; RESULT:NODUI CONVICTION; Sentence: Impaired Driving, no jail; loss of lic, ignition Interlock device, 48 hours c/s, MADD VIP.
- GRNTSVLE DUI - 42 y/o fm, Second DUI, .248 BAC, RESULT: DUI CONVICTION; Sentence: No Jail, 48 h c/s, sup probation, MADD VIP, Interlock, Lic Sus.
- WEST VALLEY DUI - 37 y/o m, Second DUI, .137 BAC, single MC accid. w/ inj. (mandatory 10 days jail); RESULTS: BAC evidence suppressed, plea bargain to no jail, #2 DUI, SENTENCE: 240 h c/s, 12 mo.sup. prob., PfL, MADD VIP, fine.
- Tooele DUI - 45 y/o m, DUI w/ accident, .187 BAC, Poor SFST's; RESULT: Impaired Driving; Sentence: 48 h c/s, no jail, 60 d lic sus, MADD, PfL, Assess, No Ignition Interlock, 12 mo unsup prob.
- RVTN - 28 yr old male, TRIPLE DUI (Three DUI's In One Month) - #1 - Result: NO DUI CONVICTION, No license suspension, no ignition interlock
- Holladay / Cottonwood Heights: .320 UAC, DUI, Speeding. Results: Reckless Driving, non-alcohol related, No DMV Suspension, No Ignition Interlock . . .
- SLC - 24 yr old female, speeding/DUI - .110 BAC, Result: NO DUI CONVICTION, No license suspension, no ignition interlock.....
- SALT LAKE DUI - 57 y/o m, Second DUI (Mandatory 10 d jail), .176 BAC, open container; RESULTS: NO DUI CONVICTION, evidence suppressed on de novo appeal to district court; SENTENCE: None.
- WASATCH COUNTY DUI - 45 y/o f, Third DUI / 10 yr; charged as a felony, .135 BAC, + ETOH rest. dr., IID rest. dr.' NO FELONY DUI CONVICTION; reduced to second dui by disqualifying prior as enhancement; Sentence: 30 days ankle monitor, Sup. prob., all but DUI dismissed; MADD, PfL, fine, 12 mo. lic. sus.
- CLRFD - 23 yr old male, DUI - .80 BAC, Turn Signal; Result: NO DUI CONVICTION, No license suspension, no ignition interlock....
- HEBER DUI - 41 y/o m, Third DUI, Felony, single car accident, al. rest. dr, IID rest., 164 BAC, actual physical control case; RESULTS: NO FELONY DUI CONVICTION W/ 402 REDUCTION TO CLASS A; Sentence: 60 d jail w/ work release, 36 m., Sup. Prob., fine, MADD, PfL, IID, only 120 d. lic. susp.
- Murray - 25 yr old male DUI .126 BAC, Speeding; Result: Impaired Driving, No Ignition Interlock, No Supervised Probation, Speeding dismissed.
- WDVR - 46 yr old male, DUI - .190 BAC, Result: NO DUI CONVICTION, No license suspension, no ignition interlock....
- SLC - 26 yr old male, DUI - .153 BAC, Speed Exhibition; Result: NO DUI CONVICTION - No license suspension, no ignition interlock
- SLC - 49 yr old male, DUI - .178 BAC, Open Container, Result: NO DUI CONVICTION - No license suspension, no ignition interlock